• Home
  • Secondary Assistance Scheme

2016 Secondary Assistance Scheme

Uploaded on 26 November 2015

  • General Information

    The Western Australian Department of Education provides an allowance to assist eligible families with secondary schooling costs.
    To be eligible for the allowance the parent/guardian must hold a Department of Human Services (Centrelink) or Veterans’ Affairs card that represents a statement of income for the family.
    The allowance consists of two components:

    - $115 Clothing Allowance paid directly to the parent/guardian or the school.

    - $235 Educational Program Allowance paid directly to the school.

    Application is made by the parent or guardian for student/s enrolled in Years 7–12 studying a full time secondary course at a Western Australian public school.

    Eligibility Criteria

    Parent or Guardian must hold one of the following cards:

    - Department of Human Services (Centrelink) Health Care Card

    - Department of Human Services (Centrelink) Pensioner Concession Card

    - Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card

    Please Note: The only Veterans’ Affairs Card that meets the criteria is a blue card that is issued annually and expires in December each year. This card is income means tested.

    The parent/guardian must be the holder of a card that is valid some time during first term. The only exception to this is when a student holds their own health care card and has been declared independent by Centrelink (e.g. Living Away from Home). In this instance, a letter of confirmation from Centrelink needs to accompany the application.

    The allowance is paid up to and including the year the student turns 18 years of age i.e. students born in 1997 or before are ineligible in 2016.

    Application Forms

    Application forms should not be altered and are to be completed at the school during Term 1 only. If the form is completed prior to the commencement of Term 1 the school must complete the enrolment confirmation section to confirm attendance. (Forms dated by the school prior to Term 1, 2016 will not be accepted). Please ensure to keep a photocopy of the signed form for school records.

    Download the application form Dowload the FAQ


Related files